Thursday, December 10, 2009

Reading timeline

And here's a rough timeline for the next few books that are in our lineup:

1) December
Uma Narayan, Towards A Feminist Vision of Citizenship
Gayatri Spivak, Can the Subaltern Speak?

2) January
Edwardo
Galeano, selection of short stories from Walking Words
Michael Shapiro,
Violent Cartographies Chapters 1 & 2
Saba Mahmood,
The Politics of Piety Intro, Chapters tbd.

3)
February
James Baldwin,
Notes of a Native Son

2 comments:

water buffalo said...

Hey just wondering:

1. do you have shapiro's chapters to pass around via email?

2. Anybody knows of any web site that we can easily copy-paste stories by Galeano??? Otherwise, we might have to postpone reading him and prioritize those whose works we already have with us...

Oooh ooh, i have this pdf file (34 pages) of selected poems in the theme of "Poetry of witness." We don't have to read all of them. Maybe can select 5, or even just one to start the convo. The ones that I've read so far are very moving. There's also one by Mahmoud Darwish in that doc.

Also, I think Malcom X is another great person to follow...

Charmaine said...

Yup, I have Shapiro and will send that out when it's time. I'm gonna look for Galeano's stories online next week. In terms of sending out documents, I think we should just wait until we've completed the readings of previous weeks before we send the next ones - take it slow, like you said, so we can keep track! :D